> Please can anyone tell me what might have sparked the message:
> lpr: unable to get official name for local machine

Sorry folks, I have found how I caused this - it was by deleting
a line
n.n.n.n bay
from /etc/hosts. ( I got the lpr source to find that out, I find if I put
the same IP numbers as localhost for the local machine (bay) that is
enough to satisfy lpr.)

The line deletion was done while trying to cope with a ppp problem.
So I have had my faith in fsck restored. I hope I can rely on it to
alert me by filename if something is spoilt beyond recovery.

clare