Unfortunately, my experience is somewhat different -- I've had a Quantum
Grand Prix 4.3GB die on me (dead spindle) after 10 months (and my office
had 4 other identical models die with dead spindles and data errors); a
micropolis 1GB ages ago die after 18 months (another dead spindle), and
I've known of WD quality control problems (caviar 1.6GB wrong cleaning
fluid recall...)

I'm using a Seagate 2GB 5400rpm now... hopefully a slow drive won't run
too hot and kill the bearings... I think if you keep a drive cool it'll
have a better chance at longevity.

If reliability is your primary objective, rather than cost, buy two drives
and mirror them. There's really no other alternative that will drastically
reduce your risk of hardware failure. If you've really got money to burn,
run them on a RAID controller too -- hardware RAID offers performance far
better than software mirroring.

TL