On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 01:17:18PM -0500, Bruce Park wrote:
> Hello Debian users,
>
> I was wondering how I can fix this problem regarding the root user and X.
> Normally, I log into the machine as a regular user then use the su command
> to become root. Whenever I need to utilize X(xmms, emacs), I get an error
> stating the following:
> Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by the server
> Xlib: client is not authorized to connect to Server
> emacs: Cannot connect to X server :0.0
> Check the DISPLAT environment variable or use `-d'
> Also use the xhost program to verify that it is set to permit connections
> fro your machine

Your X server is refusing any connection from clients as long as
authentication is enabled. Disable by 'xhost +'. Or as root, copy over
the .Xauthority file from the users home directory. Cookies are stored
in that file, without which, access to the X server is not allowed.
Don't forget to set the DISPLAY varible 'export DISPLAY=:0.0'.
For more info, read the Remote-X-Apps-HOWTO at linuxdocs.org.

Regards, Willi

--
never offend people with style when you can
offend them with substance.