Lawrence wrote:

> what is mrouted?  where to get it?

mrouted (multicast router daemon) is the daemon you run to enable your
machine to be a part of the MBONE.  It forwards IP multicast packets
via a unicast "tunnel" past non-IP-Multicast-aware routers to another
machine running mrouted or a router that can handle IP Multicast
packets.

The existance of the MBONE is rather ingenious: since most Internet
routers can't handle IP multicast yet, the MBONE (Multicast backBONE)
started out as a small (but now large) collection machines running
mrouted and the unicast tunnels between them.  As IP multicast becomes
more common in routers, the MBONE will melt into the Internet as
running mrouted will become unnecessary.  I believe a similar approach
will be taken for IPv6 and so on.

Where you get it depends on the platform, I didn't look but there
might be Debian package for it.  There is a good collection of
references at:

http://www-itg.lbl.gov/mbone#reflinks

HTH,
Keith