Thank you very much Carey,
your suggestions were very helpfull.

Problem :
        However, the CD-rom access is still not mounted.
        and I do not know how access it. There does
        not seem to be a scsi recognized.

the dmesg output lists : -----------------------
Failed initialization of WD-7000 SCSI card!
PPA: unable to initialize controller at 0x378, error 1
scsi : 0 hosts.
scsi : detectotal total.
I do not remember telling the drivers loaded
section of the install there was a WD-7000 SCSI card,
I only selected the "generic scsi drivers" .

I do not know what "mem_base,irq" to use in the
boot command :
Future Domain TMC-8xx/950 tmc8xx=mem_base,irq

How do you add another driver to debian ?
for example:
"Future Domain TMC-8xx/950 tmc8xx=mem_base,irq"

Does something like this need to be placed into
the lilo.conf file ?

under /proc/scsi/scsi it says:---------
Attached devices: none

under /proc/devices it contains:--------
Character devices:
1 mem
2 pty
3 ttyp
4 ttyS
5 cua
6 lp
7 vcs
10 misc
12 tpqic02
36 netlink

Block Devices:
1 ramdisk
2 fd
3 ide0
7 loop
9 md
36 ed

Therefore I do not think the CDrom has been recognized.

Previously under my NT 4.0 system I had on this
thinkpad the Diagnostics described my cd-rom
as :_____________________
FutureDomain 8xxx scsi

and the cdrom device labeled as :__________
IBM CDRM00201