I've just been given the goahead to take over a project, in which there
are linux boxes being used about the state as mail servers and mail
monitors.

Currently, it all works, but is a set of kluges running slackware.
Ultimately, the machines will be switched over to debian (or possibly
redhat, but i doubt it), but as they are distributed throughout the
state, reinstalling is not an option until we figure out how to do it
remotely (and on the first try :).

In the meantime, though, a priority is to get the proprietary software
in a package that we can work with.  Which leads to the magic question:
what will it take to install dpkg on top of slackware?

rick