> we should have started with posting your files :)

> > defaultroute /dev/modem 38400 persist
>

> for pppd being able to understand which line in /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
> to use.

AH-HAH!    yes, this did it.  thank you, thankyou, thank you.  I'm now
connected through the isp.

Should this be part of the installation script, then?  I also noticed
that /etc/ppp.chatscript and ppp.options_out are permission 600.
shouldn't they be 640, with permission to some group, such as dialout?

> > and /etc/ppp/pap_secrets

> I hope you meant pap-secrets, not pap_secrets.

yep.  i had to pop it over to the dos partition in an 8.3, reboot, etc.
..

> > john suggested.

> You should also DEFINITELY have /etc/ppp/options file!
> If you do have it, then adding "user hawk" will do the trick.

yep, i do have one, though i've never touched it.  I'd assumed that
/etc/options_out had replaced it.

thanks again

rick