On Sat, Nov 21, 1997, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 20, 1997 at 01:10:08PM -0800, David Stern wrote:
> >
> > There is one small issue which I've worked around, but haven't
> > completely resolved, because I don't understand it. When running
> > fetchmail -v, I get the following error output and it stalls out for
> > awhile, then goes to the next message, and repeats on all newmessages,
> > doesn't matter if I'm user or root, and the messages are notfetched:
> > [..]
>
> You don't have to lock the .mh_sequences, it is recommended when you
> have fetchmail delivering to port 25 as if the mail arrived normally.
> Then sendmail (smail, qmail, whatever) receives it and passes to
> procmail.  In this scenario multiple copies of procmail may be
> simultaneously delivering messages to a folder, using mh's rcvstore.
> Rcvstore wasn't designed for this kind of thing and it doesn't lock
> ..mh_sequences while writing to it.  End result: multiple copies of
> rcvstore can screw up .mh_sequences -- exmh won't like that (btw the
> only reason to use rcvstore at all is that it updates .mh_sequences
> and keeps exmh happy.  Procmail on its own doesn't).
>
> In your case fetchmail won't start another procmail process until
> the previous one has exited, so you should be safe without locking
> anyway.

Oh, OK.  Why is it that my fetchmail won't start another procmail
process until the previous one has exited, and implicitly, since you
have lockfiles in your recipe, your fetchmail can start another
procmail process before the first has exited?  (IOW: I'm asking when
should I think about adding lockfiles? When not delivered to port25?
When is that?)

> My ~Mail is drwx--x--x, and I just found out that folders are a mess:
> some are drwxr-x--x, some are drwxr-xr-x etc.  The problem may be that
> I gave you a slightly wrong recipe, see below.
>
> > If you didn't have the same recipe in your .procmailrc, I might be
> > tempted to think I'd misread the man page where it says thatlockfiles
> > are good with MH (not mbox), but you do, so what could the error be?
> > [..]
>
> Errmm... my apologies.  I typed it off the top of my head.  My exactrecipe
> is as follows:
> [..]
> (as you can see the actual recipes are in separate files under~/.procmail/
> I think you can include as many of those as you like with INCLUDERC).
>
> Three things that are different: paths are expanded from $HOMEvariable,
> no "w" flag (although I have it on some other recipes -- don'tremember why),
> and different lock extension.  I don't know whether any of thesematter -- try
> it, if it doesn't work for you then the problem is not with procmail,maybe
> directory permissions on ~ or /home or even /
>
> My best guess is ~ does not get expanded to the path to your home
directory...

All my ~/Mail/* have write permission, ~/ --> $HOME was the first thing
I tried, and I experimented with lock extensions, as well as a variable
assignment, although I do like yours better than mine, so it looks like
the lockfiles were the only problem.  I really appreciate the reply,
thanks Dima.

David