I can't draw anything in the gimp.  Lines don't show up, using the pencil,
brush, or other drawing tools.  The spline tool does lines, but when I
switch over to pencil or brush, etc., the lines disappear.  I get some
messages, including

** WARNING **: XGetWindowProperty failed

This message I got the first time I tried to start up gimp on this session.
Subsequent attempts got these messages (and so on):

parsing "/home/lex/.gimp/gtkrc"
parsing "/usr/share/gimp/0.99.14/gimprc"
parsing "/home/lex/.gimp/gimprc"
parsing "/home/lex/.gimp/pluginrc"
Starting extensions:
Not enough colors to satisfy requested color cube.
Reduced color cube shades from
[6 of Red, 6 of Green, 4 of Blue, 24 of Gray] ==> [5 of Red, 5 of Green, 4
of Bl
ue, 24 of Gray]
/usr/bin/X11/gimp warning: No brushes available for use with this tool.
/usr/bin/X11/gimp warning: No brushes available for use with this tool.
/usr/bin/X11/gimp warning: No brushes available for use with this tool.
/usr/bin/X11/gimp warning: No brushes available for use with this tool.
/usr/bin/X11/gimp warning: No brushes available for use with this tool.
/usr/bin/X11/gimp warning: No brushes available for use with this tool.
/usr/bin/X11/gimp warning: No brushes available for use with this tool.
directory is ok

** ERROR **: sigsegv caught

I wasn't running Netscape.  I had started emacs between the two invocations
of the Gimp.

I reinstalled gimp 0.99.14-1 and the gimp-data-extra, gimp-data-min, and
gimp-non-free packages of this version.  I also installed the up-to-date
libgtk1.

I am using x11 3.3.1 with a matrox millenium.  I have been having some
freaky problems with the SVGA server, streaks and lines dancing on the
screen.  I am now wondering if there is a problem with my X11 installation.
Alot of the x11 problems seemed to happen after the first time I started up
uxing xdm.  The character of the screen is way different (not just colors)
when I start up with xdm.

Thought these might be related?

I am sending to the users list, even thought I am using a pretty nearly
completely hamm system.

Alan Davis

--

"I consider that the golden rule requires       Alan E. Davis
that if I like a program I must share it        [EMAIL PROTECTED]