>should CAT 5 cable testers be considered a necessity when installing
>fast ethernet cables?

???!!!

That's like asking "should I make sure the guy who cuts my hair passed the
course?"  i.e. does it really matter?   Guess it depends on the haircut
you want....  ;-)

My opinion, though...  Try the cable at 100Mbps - if it works... its
certified....

Using a decent cable tester, you can get a few dozen pages of stats on
various cable properties; however, I've never found it all too useful - if
I'm installing the cable myself.  If I'm paying someone to install the
cable for me, I usually try to get the stats as part of a guarantee....

Later,
Kevin Traas