> > > Your libc5-libc6-Mini-HOWTO.txt saves many people from ruinning their
> > > operating systems.  A few changes could save a few more people.  When a
> > > person
> > > ruins zher operating system by badly adding packages from hamm, zhe
> > > consumes
> > > weeks of time.  You might save tens of people a hundred wasted hours each.
> >
> > Didn't save me.  I followd the instructions on an old test system here and
> > STILL managed to blow it up. I was tired and cranky ... got to the part
> > where I
> > manuall did a dpkg on libc6 ... but it conflicts with libc5 ... (dpkg -i
> > libc6_2.0.4-1.i386.deb) so without thinking I did a dpkg -r --force depends
> > libc5 thinking that my next command would be to install libc6 ... there was
> > no
> > next command on that system.
>
> the libc5 from hamm doesn't conflict with libc6. So, you should have
> installed the libc5 from hamm, before installing libc6.
>
> I'm sure that is mentioned in the libc5-libc6-mini-howto.

This seems the correct approach.  So, the libc5-libc6-Mini-HOWTO should say
not just
   The minimum list of packages to install to be able to run unstable-
   branch packages is below.  Install these packages one at a time in
   exactly the order listed.  When versions are mentioned, that is a
   minimum suggested version, any later version should also be
   acceptable.
        o  ldso_1.9.5-1
        o  libc6_2.0.4-1

but should also include something like
        o  ldso_1.9.5-1
        o  libc5_5.4.38  from unstable hamm **********
        o  libc6_2.0.4-1

The need for the above appeared to me again today, in my office, when  a
colleague tried to install Debian Linux.  As recommended in the HOWTO, he did
not use dselect.  However, haveing followed the libc5-libc6-Mini-HOWTO two
times, he is about to try installing Debian Linux for the third time in one
day.   The first recommended package ldso_1.9.6-2 installed properly.  The
second package libc6_2.0.5c-0.1 failed to install, responding that dpkg COULD
NOT REMOVE libc5!  He knew not to use a -force option, so he used a --purge
option on libc5.  He followed this by again having dpkg install
libc6_2.0.6c-0.1.  All seemed well, except that the purging of libc5 removed
/lib/libreadline.so.2, so he could no longer log on --time to reinstall Debian
Linux.

--
Jim Burt, NJ9L,         Fairfax, Virginia, USA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://www.mnsinc.com/jameson

"If merely 'feeling good' could decide, drunkenness would be the supremely
valid human experience."      --William James, Varieties of Religious
Experience