> Hi! I am a new Linux user converted from Windows NT. :).
>      I have a 17 inch monitor, but my XFree86 insists on displaying in an
> approximately 15 inch rectangle of my screen. How do I configure it to fill
> the whole screen?
  You do that with your monitor... it has functions on it, to make it wider,
and taller.

>      Also! Is there an equivalent of Microsoft's file manager for X
> windows?
  Equivalent? No, and god forbid...

  There are several file managers... one really good, which I think just made
it into Debian, is Xplore.  But, to acquire such managers that work completely
you need to purchase motif, and/or CDE.