On Wed, Dec 24, 1997 at 10:48:48AM -0800, George Bonser wrote:
> 1) What is in your /etc/exports?

# /etc/exports: the access control list for filesystems which may be exported
#               to NFS clients.  See exports(5).

/usr/local/rising       *.rising.com.au(rw)

> 2) also, debian runs a number of rcp services out of inetd so make sure
>    /etc/hosts.allow and .deny are set up correctly.

All the rpc serves in /etc/inetd.conf are commented out. portmap
is running as daemon, and rpc.nfsd/mountd as root.

> 3) You can client --> server does not work, do you mean that the server is
> unable to mount a client drive? Does it give an error?

>From the client, I cannot mount a server drive:

bash-2.00# mount yodeller:/usr/local/rising /mnt
mount clntudp_create: RPC: Program not registered

[8:12pm] [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~> rpcinfo -p yodeller
No remote programs registered.

[8:12pm] [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~> rpcinfo -p yodeller
   program vers proto   port
    100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
    100003    2   udp   2049  nfs
    100003    2   tcp   2049  nfs
    100005    1   udp    937  mountd
    100005    2   udp    937  mountd
    100005    1   tcp    940  mountd
    100005    2   tcp    940  mountd

yodeller is the server, silly the client (aka dialup-2 due to dynamic
IPs);

[8:13pm] [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~> rpcinfo -p dialup-2
   program vers proto   port
    100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
    100003    2   udp   2049  nfs
    100003    2   tcp   2049  nfs
    100005    1   udp    834  mountd
    100005    2   udp    834  mountd
    100005    1   tcp    837  mountd
    100005    2   tcp    837  mountd

So with rpcinfo, server -> server, client -> client, and server -> client
works, but the crucial one, client -> server, doesn't. It certainly
appears to be some sort of firewall problem but there's a direct
link between them (PPP), no masquerading etc.

I can even mount drives server -> client (ie on yodeller
I can mount drives on silly). But not the other way around.

thanks,
Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt, [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]