On Thu, 25 Dec 1997, Timothy Hospedales wrote:

>       The first thing that happened is that when I turned on my computer, for
> some reason /dev/mouse was linked to my /dev/ttyS0, and so things refused
> to use ttyS0. So I deleted /dev/mouse, but then nothing would detect the
> modem on /dev/ttyS0. I then booted off my bootdisk that I made during
> debian setup, and it was recognized okay...... Any ideas on how to fix this?
Are you using a plugn'play modem?  And what do you mean by "nothing would
recognize" it?

>       Now, (having booted off the disk), I check my /etc/ppp/ and am
> disappointed to find that I have no scripts already there that I can
Try looking in /usr/doc/ppp* for some examples and readmes.

> beautifully, and logs in, detects a ppp, starts my ppp, and then
> disconnects, and says the ppp deamon exited with error code 2.  I check the
> ppp-errors file, and it says that the /etc/ppp/ppp-connect file doesn't
> exist.
>       Now, I take out the line 'connect /etc/ppp/ppp-connect' from the options
> file in /etc/ppp/ and dial again. This time it exits with error code 1. The
> ppp log file also says:
The /etc/ppp/ppp-connect file is the one pppd uses to connect,  IIRC,  so
without it,  pppd has no idea what to do with itself.  ppp-connect should
be a script that dials the modem and logs into the remote server,  I
think.

> PS: Assuming I ever get this to work, does anyone know if Apache or any
> other web servers will work even though I've got a dynamic IP?
I don't think apache will care.  The problem lies in the fact that in
order to connect to your apache server,  I've got to know your IP address,
or your hostname (which is essentially the same thing,  because it'll get
resolved to your ip address),  and those'll keep changing,  so getting
people to _find_ your machine might be tough.

                                                        Will

|             [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]           |
|                       http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/                   |
|The problem with computers:                                             |
|                      rivendell[501] [~]> love me                       |
|                      bash: love: command not found                     |
|                      rivendell[502] [~]> hug me                        |
|                      bash: hug: command not found                      |