On Fri, 9 Jan 1998, Tim Thomson wrote:

> Has anyone heard of a Web browser that uses the svgalibs (or some other
> method), rather than X-Win? I have a 100meg hard drive, and have about
> 10meg free, so I don't really want to install X-win, plus I only have a
> 386SX, so X-win is rather slow.

Such a beast would be great. Alas, I don't think one exists. Perhaps if
Mnemonic ever gets into beta, we'll see one.

There is one for DOS called Arachne (Caldera sells it as WebSpyder32).
Unfortunately, no source code -- though I've heard of Linux users running it
somewhere (maybe they got it to work under DOSEMU, but that doesn't solve
your problem either).

While I am a GNU/Linux and free software advocate, and enjoy turning very
low-end hardware into useable free software systems, I've been thinking
lately that it's more practical to run Caldera's OpenDOS/WebSpyder32 on a
machine like yours than run Linux, especially if using the Web is a
priority. I don't even know if you _could_ install X on that system -- it
would just be impossible to use.

Good luck,

Michael Stutz  .  http://dsl.org/m/  .  copyright disclaimer etc
stutz@dsl.org  :  finger for pgp     :  http://dsl.org/copyleft/