Nils Rennebarth wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 1998 at 09:26:27PM -0800, Sudhakar Chandrasekharan wrote:
> > After the upgrade, I am unable to log into my machine with a username in
> > YP.
> > $ cat /etc/nsswitch.conf
> > passwd:         db files
> > group:          db files
> > shadow:         db files
> For these three replace "db files" with "compat" and you should be done.
>
> And, yes, nsswitch.conf is the place to look for.

How should it read?  The HOWTO mentions this but does not give an
example.  Could you give me an example.

Also, I am in Panic Mode now.  I have changed some stuff in
nsswitch.conf [possibly adding nis to the passed entry or something like
that.  nsswitch.conf did not have a man page].  I got back to work this
morning and tried to log in as root and login failed.  Could not log in
with a username from NIS either.  I decided (unwisely, it seems) to
reboot.  Upon reboot the various daemons in /etc/init.d/ are started and
the machine seems (I say seems because I did not wait long enough to see
if it really does) to hang while starting postgres (under /usr/local).

As I see it, here are my options -

* Try to see if the boot sequence is really hanging by giving it enouch
time.  If it manages to proceed with the rest of the boot sequence and
gets me into the login prompt, I have to try my luck with loggin in as
root.

* If I am unable to log in as root, how do I fix what I did to
nsswitch.conf?  I was sensible enough to backup the old file before
making the changes.  I am unable to locate my emergency disk (or
whatever it is called).  Can I use the Debian 1.3 distribution's
installation boot disks, mount /dev/sdb3 as root and fix the problem and
then try rebooting with my regular custom boot disk?  How?

* Ideally, I'd prefer booting up into NT and being able to access the
ext2 partition.  I remember reading somewhere that there is a device
driver for reading / writing into an ext2 partition for NT.

Help me Obi Wan.  You are my last hope. ;-)

Sudhakar