I have my modem and my UPS both connected to serial ports with the same
interupt. Seems to work OK. These are both on the same card which was
modified (not a lot of fun) to share the interupt. JDR Microdevices
sells a 4-port serial board that is supposed to support shared interupts.

On Sun, 11 Jan 1998, Dan Hugo wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > 0setserial confused me to. But after all I've figuered out, that linux (on
> > my machine) does NOT support 2 serials on the same interupt. What happens
> > is, that they both are not useable. I have set the jumpers on my ... hmmm
> > ... let me look ... AdLib ISA POWER 221 card (which has 2 serial, 2
> > parallel and 1 game port) to have the two extra serials as /dev/ttyS2 and
> > /dev/ttyS3 (COM3: and COM4:) with interupts 11 and 12. And I have edited
> > the 0setserial file as shown below:
> >
> > - ---------------- /etc/rc.boot/0setserial ------- [snip] -----------------
> >
> > #
> > # The typical user will only have 2 serial ports. To try and minimise
> > # problems, all other configurations have been commented out!
> > #
> > ${SETSERIAL} -b /dev/ttyS2 ${AUTO_IRQ} skip_test autoconfig ${STD_FLAGS}
> > ${SETSERIAL} -b /dev/ttyS3 ${AUTO_IRQ} skip_test autoconfig ${STD_FLAGS}

> > - ---------------- /etc/rc.boot/0setserial ------- [snap] -----------------
> >
> > As you can see, I have taken the '#' out. That's all.
>
> I have a Bo-unstable drop from about almost a year ago, and that comment
> is not in there... thought I did get everything working just right for
> my current setup, which is
>
> ttyS0 - Modem
> ttyS1 - PalmPilot (or whatever it's called now).
>
> I just got a BestPower Fortress (needed it), and I would like to hook up
> a serial laser printer and, if it works, leave it hooked up.
>
> I'm not necessarily short on interrupts yet, but I figured it would be
> interesting of the slower items could just share an interrupt.
>
> Oh well...
>
> -dh
>

> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] .
> Trouble?  e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] .

*   For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son,  *
*   that whoever believes in Him should not perish...    John 3:16  *
* W. Paul Mills          *     Topeka, Kansas, U.S.A.               *
* [EMAIL PROTECTED]     *     http://homepage.midusa.net/~wpmills/ *
* [EMAIL PROTECTED]      *     http://www.sound.net/~wpmills/       *
* Bill, I was there several years ago, why would I want to go back? *