Back in the 1980's, At&T produced S.
Most statistical departments quickly worked with S; eg,
Stanford, Purdue, Carnegie-Mellon.
Numerous statistics departments contributed code to S.
In the early 1990's, Statistical Sciences licensed S from AT&T, producing
S-Plus.
They put on a pretty front end, the sort of front end that gets you to
buy Microsoft Word rather than use LaTeX.
They charge about $1500 and produce it for most every platform but Linux.

Recently, the statistics departments, particularly one in Australia,
began producing R, with a GNU like license.
Some of the original developers for S now work on R.
If you want the latest S-library for spatial statistics,
you get it in R (December, 1997).
And virtually all SPlus code works in R!
No need for an SPlus GPL (analogous to Netscape's considerations);
no need for SPlus.
The Bureau of the Census uses R some because S has failed for some
Census applications.
SPlus told me a year ago and again two months ago that porting to Linux
was not a priority for them.  They might port Linux in 2 years.
On the other hand, one developer of R stated that R has progressed so far
and develops so quickly that SPlus may well become a minor player
in the R & S arena.

Today, we got a call that SPlus NOW HAS A VERSION FOR LINUX.
They must have decided Linux is no minor player since developers of
R often use Linux.
As a Linux enthusiast, I'm glad to see the software, may even
one day purchase it.  However, I have been so satisfied with R that I'll
probably follow Richard Stallman's wishes, using and contributing
in minor ways to fine public software like R.

I probably should say something about R.
I use R on Debian Linux.
After startup, you can immediately use it as a calculator (2+2=4).
It solves most problems through vectors rather than pulling in a number
at a time off disk.
This makes it very quick, though it will balk on gargantuan data problems.
It has cutting edge statistical procedures, including
generalized-additive-models and loess-regression in addition to the
standard anova, generalized-linear-models, ... .
One of its fortes is graphics; eg, you can click a graphed point
to get its name.
For an R manual, just use an SPlus manual since the programming and
most commands in SPlus work in R.
To use either R or SPlus, you really do need a manual.