On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, David Wright wrote:

> I have a chatscript to do callback, which looks like this.
>
> ABORT        BUSY
> ABORT        "NO CARRIER" <---------------------
> ABORT        VOICE
> ABORT        "NO DIALTONE"
> ""           ATZ
> OK           ATL1
> OK           ATDT5551212
> ogin:        \qmagic-login-id\q
> RING         ata
> ogin:        ""
>
> The problem is that if I leave in the arrowed line, it won't work. When I
> (or it) type magic-login-id, the other end hangs up so that it can call
> me back, but my modem says NO CARRIER at this point, which aborts the
> script. Is there a trick to avoid this. (If not, I guess I'll just have to
> leave it out.)

I do dialback and it works fine for me. You have to leave out the ABORT on
"NO CARRIER" of course or the chatscript will abort when the other end
hangs up - because you've told it to.

However, with newer ppp's this no longer seems to be sufficient, as
apparently chat bails out if the DCD signal is gone. I have had to add
"AT&C0" to the modem init strings, to disable DCD signalling by the modem.

That made dialback work again, the only problem I still have is when
dialling in to another provider without dialback, for which I use other
modem settings. pppd often hangs up right after starting, but it restarts
after a couple of seconds so I haven't really bothered yet to polish
these rough edges.

Cheers,

Joost