Hi all,
  I finally tracked down a problem with Xemacs19 and gnus, and hope
this can help someone else.  I'm tracking unstable, and generally
having very few problems (thanks!).  The past few days, however,
xemacs has refused to recognize that I have mail in my mailbox, and
gnus doesn't see it either.

Xemacs, gnus, and some other packages (efs, prim, reportmail, rmail,
crontab, and vm), all look for mail in /usr/spool/mail/<user>.  On
Debian systems, this is a symlink to /var/spool/mail/<user>, so all is
well.  This symlink seems to have been removed by some package
recently, however, and problems began developing.

Was this a deliberate policy decision?  I seem to have missed
discussion of it.  I currently have added a line to my .emacs (so
display-time will show the status of the mailbox):
  (setq rmail-spool-directory "/var/spool/mail/")
and one to my .gnus:
  (setq nnmail-spool-file "/var/spool/mail/npreyer")
and this works.  Or I could replace the /usr/spool link.  What's the
best way to handle this?

xemacs 19.16-1

Thanks!
--Norris

--
Norris Preyer                   (541) 962-3310 (office)
Physics Program                 (541) 962-3873 (fax)