George Bonser wrote:

> You are, of course correct, but we should give them some idea of how
> many of their subscribers they have offended ;)

Yea, I see what you mean but I'm a little concerned that Linux, and to
a larger extent free software, will be damaged by people taking a
"religious" attitude towards their software and not tolerating any
criticism.  I'm not accusing you (or anyone) of that, but I think that
there might be presumption that us "enthusiasts" have that tendency and
hence will not be taken seriously.

In fairness, I think that the essence of the point he raises is quite
valid: How can a business take seriously software that is not
supported by a commercial entity?  Given the speed at which people
(managers, business, etc.) tend to point fingers when a problem arises
rather than depend on their own ability to solve it, this is a
legitimate concern.  Of course, we all know that these concerns are
being addressed (with perhaps superior solutions), so his suggestion
that Linux would be a poor choice in such a situation is unfounded.
Hopefully he and his editor are figuring that out by now based on all
the very credible "talkbacks" submitted.  (Perhaps they're just
counting the hits their web site is receiving because of it. :)

Overall, I think the software industry could be on the verge of some
*very* big changes if freely available software successfully makes it
out of it's "adolescence".

Keith