According to Colin R. Telmer:
> I guess I did in my first post. After reading your susequent posts, I
> think that I should explain. Warning, I did not completely grasp your
> explanation but I think I got the jist of it (this will show in the
> wording I use). lastlog is an ordered file that saves last information for
> each user's offset (?) at a particular location, where that location is
> determined by the offset. If only a few users login and their offset's are
> close together, then lastlog is a relatively smaall file. However, if a
> user logs in with an offset vastly different, then lastlog becomes a huge
> file as reported by ls as it stored this offset at some "distance" from
> the others and therefore creates a file with a large amount of empty

Yes, something like that. Actually the offset is

unix_user_id * sizeof(struct lastlog)

> space. I think the idea that lastlog is fixed is that if there is a
> maximum offset a user can have, then after this offset is logged, the file
> will always be that size.

Well the highest user id in Unix is 65534 (usually "nobody") so if that
user logs in, it sets the file to the maximum size it'll ever get ..

Mike.
--
 Miquel van Smoorenburg |  The dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac lay in his bed
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  awake all night wondering if there is a doG