the problem is the missing link to /var/spool from /usr/spool. since
there are no references to /usr/spool/lpd in lpd, this most certainly
comes from the /etc/printcap file. it certainly does on my system (the
printcap is generated automatically by the distributed printing
people). which brings up one of the things that i am beginning to find
annoying about linux these days: this so called file system standard,
which seems to be getting weirder and weirder every day, and more and
more different than the other unixes. i used unix long before there
was even linux, and for a while it was a pleasure to watch linux
transform itself into a full fledged unix-like operating system. but
now it is beginning to suffer from the emacs syndrome, insisting on
doing things its own way for the sake of being different (or so it
seems to me). don't get me wrong, i love linux and emacs (i am typing
this in emacs on a debian/linux machine) but i do think that the fsf
people suffer form terminal grandeur and debian, by choosing to follow
them so closely, is beginning to exhibit the same symptoms.

--alex--

--
| I believe the moment is at hand when, by a paranoiac and active |
|  advance of the mind, it will be possible (simultaneously with  |