On Fri, 20 Feb 1998 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > Why not just add -R to the gpm configuration and use /dev/gpmdata and
> > MouseSystems in XF86Config; then you can have both.
>
> Doesn't the gpm man page says that what you are suggesting doesn't apply to
> serial mice ?

If that's the way you understand it, then I think you should submit a bug
report against the man page. Here's the paragraph:

       With X11 gpm has the same problems as selection.  If  your
       mouse  is  a  single-open  device  (i.e. a bus mouse), you
       should kill gpm before  strating  X,  or  use  the  ``-R''
       option  (see above).  To kill gpm just invoke gpm -k. This
       doesn't apply to serial mice.

To what does "This" refer? I think it means "forget this entire
paragraph if you have a serial mouse", not just the previous sentence.
But it's ambiguous.

In any case, all my bo systems use gpm -R, and /dev/gpmdata with
"MouseSystems" in X. Some are pentiums with PS/2 mice, some are 486s with
serial mice.

BTW, hands off GMT please. We need it here, at least during the wintertime.

Cheers,

--
David Wright, Open University, Earth Science Department, Milton Keynes MK7 6AA
U.K.  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  tel: +44 1908 653 739  fax: +44 1908 655 151