tonight,i got dselect to upgrade my debian distribution,i connected to the
ftp.debian.org site (via dselect),cd to /debian,it updated her package.gz
file,and i choosen to install all package suggested by dselect in the
install menu,but the installation has gone wrong,i tried to undo the
change but this only got me in trouble (i'm a beginner only using debian
since 4th january),here's what i want to know,i need to save my personnal
mail,i want to wipe-out the linux partition and re-install thing up (i'm
using a CD from boot magazine to install debian on my computer):

1-:my mail is stored in /var/spool/mail/$USER (i.e.my username),do i need
just to copy this file (to another partition) and when i'm done,i re-copy
the file to it original place (i.e. /var/spool/mail/$USER) and pine will
acomodate it ??

2-:if i wipe-out my hard disk,does PPP networking would be available on
the boot,root and install disk so that instead of using the CD,i could
connect directly to the net for the latest distribution ??

3 (and last)-:the distribution on the CD is debian 1.3.0 and the one from
ftp.debian.org is 1.3.1r6 (i think..i'm not sure),does it is worth the
trouble to connect to the net for the latest release or i'm better of
keeping the CD version ??

thanks a lot
Alain
[EMAIL PROTECTED]