On Fri, 27 Feb 1998 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > Richard G. Roberto asked:
> [...]
> > However, I still can't get the r* commands to work.
> [...]
> > I opened up .rhosts for root, hosts.equiv for everyone else,
> > and even .rhosts for myself, but to no avail.
> [...]
>
> Let's review your setup. You want to be able to rsh/rlogin
> to root on a remote system, right? Did you

I my other mail I said that I need to do rsh and rdist.

> - allow root to login from remote by adding the ttyp*
> consoles to /etc/securetty (man 5 securetty)?

Done.  I can log in via rlogin (requiring a password) or
telnet with no problem.  Again, I said that in my last mail
as well.

> - enable .rhosts for the superuser by adding -h to the
> in.rlogind optionlist in /etc/inetd.conf (man 8 rlogind)?

on my system:

RLOGIND(8)               UNIX System Manager's Manual
RLOGIND(8)

NAME
     rlogind - remote login server

SYNOPSIS
     rlogind [-aln]

DESCRIPTION
     Rlogind is the server for the rlogin(1) program.  The server provides a
     remote login facility with authentication based on privileged port num
     bers from trusted hosts.

     Options supported by rlogind:

     -a      Ask hostname for verification.

     -l      Prevent any authentication based on the user's ``.rhosts'' file,
             unless the user is logging in as the superuser.

     -n      Disable keep-alive messages.

It goes on to describe that authentication is done as
described in the rshd man page.  Besides, I'm very much more
interested in rsh anyway.  There is no mention of a -h
option, but there is mention of the ruserok system call, and
its manpage, but I can't find that man page.  Also, I can't
do this as myself either -- or any user, as stated in my
last mail.

I have netstd 2.05-1 and netbase 2.04-1 with libc5 5.4.20-1.

> That's all you need to do to get this working on a
> bo R6 system. I just tried it on one of my boxes,
> and it worked just fine.

I'm not sure what bo R6 means, but the packages listed above
should be useful to someone as a checkpoint.  I'd like to
install hamm from scratch, but I can't get the install disks
to work.

> OT: Aren't you on the TLUG list, too?

What's the TLUG list?  I'm on the ptk list but that's got
nothing to do with this, nor is it even linux specific.

Thanks

--

"Until we extend the circle of our compassion to all living
things, we will not ourselves find peace" -Albert Schweitzer

Richard G. Roberto