On 05-Mar-98 Tim Sailer wrote:
> Does anyone know (not that this is real Debian specific) of a program
> that given a number, would generate a gif/jpg/tiff/whatever of a
> 3-of-9 barcode?

Yes, it's called xbar211.english.tgz or XBarcode and it can do the
following conversions:

     barcode                               output
   * EAN13, EAN8                          * PPM
   * UPC                                  * GIF
   * CodeABar                             * PCX
   * Code 128                             * PBM
   * Code 3/9                             * LaTeX
   * Code 2/5                             * Postscript
   * Code 2/5 Matrix
   * Code 2/5 Interleaved

I don't know where I found it, so you'll have to look for yourself,
but it's out there.

I'm more interested in a program that does the reverse. Given a
gif/jpg/tiff generate the barcode numbers, but I've been unable to
find such a program.

--
Best regards,
  Jeroen