On Thu, 5 Mar 1998, David Morris wrote:

> My computer runs Debian continually. However, lately, I have been needing
> to reboot to dos (a 6 year old daughter who wants to play a couple dos
> games who it is very hard to say 'no' to).
>
> I have the latest (hamm) dosemu installed for a text based program and
> have tried to get it to run in graphics mode so the games are more
> accessible.
>
> However, as a normal user I can't get it. If I try to run vgaon it kicks
> out an error: CAN'T DO VIDEO INIT, BIOS NOT MAPPED.
>
> As root from a console I can get the graphics with no problem. I hate to
> teach my daughters how to gain root access on my computer though just to
> run a couple games.
>
> What can I change to all my normal user account to access the video?

You could do put all users who are allowed to run dosemu in a separate
group, e.g. 'dos':

# addgroup dos
# adduser me dos
# adduser daughter dos

Then, make /usr/bin/dos setuid root and executeable only by group 'dos':

# chown root.dos /usr/bin/dos
# chmod 450 /usr/bin/dos

Now, only users in group 'dos' can run dosemu and it will run as root.

Also, you will need to configure dosemu to use your video card.
/etc/dosemu/conf explains itself.

Remco