Hi,

I am having a problem getting cvs's pserver method to work.
Both machines are running hamm with cvs version 1.9.10+openbsd-2.
The repository machine has a /etc/cvs.conf file:

        #
        # Configuration file for the Debian CVS-related scripts
        #

        # Please do not touch this - it enables the postinst scripts detection
        # of whether the "cvsconfig" script needs to be run or not.
        CVSCONF_VERSION="1"

        # 1. Where are your repositories?
        CVS_REPOS="/usr/local/cvsroot"

        # 2. Do you want history files rotated?
        # 2a. If, so, only those in different dirs, or in all the dirs above?

        # Set CVS_ROTATE to a colon-separated list of the rotations to keep
        # (the default is seven).
        CVS_ROTATE="yes"
        CVS_ROTDIRS="$CVS_REPOS"

        # The CVSROOT directories pserver is allowed to read from as standard
        CVS_ENAB_PSERV="yes"
        CVS_PSERV_REPOS="$CVS_REPOS"

        # End of file.

The repository machine has an entry in /etc/inetd.conf:

        cvspserver      stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd
/usr/bin/cvs -b /usr/bin --allow-root=/usr/local/cvsroot pserver

However, when I try to use:

cvs -d :pserver:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/local/cvsroot login

I get a prompt for a password (which I enter) and then it bails out
with the following error message:

cvs [login aborted]: unrecognized auth response from repository.lanl.gov: E
Fatal error, aborting.

I do not have a cvs password file in /usr/local/cvsroot/CVSROOT so
it seems it should use the /etc/passwd entry for authentication according
to the html cvs docs.

Does anybody know what I am doing wrong?

thanks,

Stuart