Florian Attenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Sun, Mar 29, 1998 at 08:01:58PM
+0200:
> X11 Version 3.2.2:Segmentation fault
> SVGAlib:Segmentation fault
> SVGATextMode:Dont know (Display crashes totally :-(((( )
> XF86Setup: Same as SVGATextMode
>
> My kernel was compiled with gcc 2.8.1 from the debian kernel-package
> 2.0.33.

This is the problem.  I don't know if specific flags to gcc, or removal
of flags, will make the problem go away, but what it does it to
miscompile the kernel such that anything using the ioport will crash.

What I did was to replace ioport.c in the kernel tree with the same file
from the latest development kernel.  This worked.  I also used 2.7.2.3
to compile ioport.c only, then used 2.8.0 to re-link the whole kernel
(and compile everything else).  This also worked.

Currently though, I have removed all traces of 2.8.x from my disk
because it had caused me even more errors, and I came to the point of
throwing my computer out of the window.  Don't ask, it was a mess.  I
certainly don't trust the GCCs until they have proven themselves, after
getting burned.

--
Scott