You can do all that and more...but...it is not exactly the same
for instance...the concept of "mapping drives" is well...not a Unix type
concept :)
but every l-user ( I am in service..I fix PCs...I say luser because I deal with
the
worst of the lot)
has (in the normal configuration) their own "home directory" which only they
have
acess too (usually anyone can look at their home directory but cannot actually
acess
files...
that can all be changed easily tho)
Linux doesn't assign everything with these "ACLs" like NT does...Unix in general
uses a system which I personally consider allot more sane :)
you can also setup security easily denoting who is allowed to login to certain
hosts
in fact a common one is to NOT allow the root (administrator) to login
(a person would have to login and then "become root" to have admin privillages)
someone once said that "Unix is infinitly configurable"
Linux can do everything NT can....faster and on cheaper hardware.
not to mention:
I work at a very large Windows NT domain...
we have had numerous NT problems... Domain controllers going down and taking
10 000 users offline ( I am NOT exxaggerating either) but...
there are a few unix systems....in all the months I have worked here..I ahve
NEVER
heard
of one going down!
Unix does take longer to learn...
Unix/Linux  looks ugly...until you come to find its "inner beauty"
it looks soo complex..until you see its Simplicity
anyway....if I were you I would give it a try...
hey...its free to try (no $500 licence)
-Steve