On Mon, May 11, 1998 at 09:26:41PM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> The unit itself is usually ~500$ cdn, but the providers around here lease
> it for a few dollars a month more.

That sounds nice. Here in the land of .AU, where any decent sized link
is expensive (ISDN is a rip-off here), the cable company (one
at present) wants you to buy the modem outright, for about $500 AU
(pretty close to $500 CDN I think). Fortunately they do rent out
the set top boxes for the television signal.

> Prices around here are about 40$/mo cdn for a 24/7 dynamic IP, severs are
> generally forbidden by the providers, etc.

Cable modem here is $65/mo I think, including 100mb traffic, then
it's *** 35c/mb! ***

ISDN is about $70/month rental, with timed local calls; costs a small
fortune for a semi-permanent connection. (That's for 2xB + 1xD, ie
basic rate.)

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt, [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]