Yo

> I've got a friend who has a corrupted his primary partition.  He gets
> an error message when he boots of an invalid superblock suggesting
> that he run "e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/sda1".  I know that mke2fs makes
> several backup copies of the superblock, but I'm unsure of where these
> are placed.  Are they placed in "standard" locations?  If so, what are
> they?
>
> Given that this is a fairly new configuration for him (but still
> semi-configured), should I suggest a reinstall or is it worth trying
> to fix it?

I had this exact same thing happen today.  Did he upgrade any packages or
use dselect today?  I had to re-compile my kernel because somehow my SCSI
support was gone.  Have him recompile with his SCSI support and see if
that doesn't clear up the problem.  After I recompiled my kernel
everything was back to normal.  This might be a bug in one of the packages
that was made available today.

Hope that helps.

-Ian