On Wed, 29 Apr 1998, Oliver Elphick wrote:

> poppy wrote:
>   >
>   >While booting my debian 1.31 box with kernel
>   >2.0.33, I see a failure to initialize my
>   >ethernet card with an error code 2
>   >
>   >Where can I find a translation of the
>   >error codes or does anyone know what an error
>   >number 2 is???
>
> /usr/include/asm/errno.h and /usr/include/linux/errno.h
>
>   #define ENOENT           2      /* No such file or directory */

I think that answers the question in the title but not the real question.
I would have a look at the source code of the driver being used, and look
for the textual part of the error message. That will give you more of an
idea what's failing.

Just as an example, if you insmod ppa (the zip-drive parallel port driver)
while there's no zip-drive plugged in, you get (by coincidence):

PPA: unable to initialise controller at 0x378, error 2
/lib/modules/2.0.29/scsi/ppa.o: init_module: Device or resource busy

The driver source code reveals that ppa_init returns:

   The return value from this function is just a hint about where the
   handshaking failed.

and the error code (here 2) increases by one after each out_p() call.
The "kernel" error code (here #define EBUSY 16 /* Device or resource busy */)
just muddies things.

Cheers,

--
Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Tel: +44 1908 653 739  Fax: +44 1908 655 151