> ... the docs you will need for x are in /usr/doc/x11...

I was not able to find the exact docs you were talking about, but I did
find the program that creates XF86Config and X11 seems to work
somewhat...  Boy that script asked me some questions I had to dig pretty
deep to figure out!

> ... I like fvwm95 to be the manager of choice...

I downloaded and installed fvwm95 and installed it using dserver.  It
did not change the appearance of the window manager very much.  I did
find a INSTALL readme file that talked about copying files to a source
directory and compiling them...  Is this required, or was that something
left over from a generic unix/linux install distribution?  Can you point
me in the direction of where I need to look to get the fvwm95 working?

What WM is the easiest to install / configure?

My X11 wm currently creates an xterm when it starts.  Once placed on the
screen, it does not let me resize or move it.  Is this normal?

What is the proper way to shutdown the X11 system when I want to work on
my system from the console?  I have been changing the init level to "1"
to get out of X11, but there must be a better way then this!

Thanks!

Doug