On Thu, 28 May 1998, Paul Reavis wrote:

> the FAQ (currently at
>  http://www.place.org/~stevemw/java/FAQ/FAQ-java-linux.html
> ) for general issues.

That reference is like gold!  Thanks gobs for that.  I read through part
of it and it explained what all this glibc vs libc5 stuff was.  I went
back and checked my system with the following result:

   I typed @ the prompt:
        bay1:~ % ldd /bin/ls
   The machine responded:
     libc.so.5 => /lib/libc.so.5.2.18

So, If I'm understanding this correctly the system I'm on is using libc5
v5.2.18 . I gather that chances are good that JDK 1.1.5 simply won't work
without getting my admin to upgrade the libc5 to 5.4.4 minimum.  Does that
sound right? Or does the Bryne port include the correct libc5 and so I can
have a decent chance of pulling this off?

Paul Reavis wrote:

> Whoops - you need the libc5 version, for sure. Debian 2.0 (hamm) is the first
> with
> real glibc support.
>
> If that works, then all you need to do is have the unpacked jdk/bin directory
> in
> your path somewhere, and maybe set JAVA_HOME to the unpacked root directory.
> Check
> I would also try the 1.1.3 version, since that is the only one I have gotten
> to work
> under Debian 1.3 (bo).

Bummer.  Well maybe that's what I'll have to do then.

> If you manage to get this running on Rex, send me the details, so I can add
> it to my
> Debian-JDK howto (http://www.mindspring.com/~tumu/java/Debian-JDK.html).

I hope my admin would upgrade first, but I'll let you know if I get that
far.

Thanks again!

Marcus