> More info:
>
> Sure enough, there was a later version on the web site,
> taking me from v3.2 to 3.2.0.92-3.  :^>
>
> So I installed the package, and tried the smtp_remote_allow
> in the config file, as mentioned for smail 3.2. No such luck,
> it doesn't know that configuration option.
>
> *IF* that configuration option is possible under the smail
> compiled under Libc6, then when the entire box is upgraded
> maybe it will work. But for now, I seem stuck unless someone
> has some magic tcp wrappers or smail configuration lines that
> will do what smtp_remote_allow (or "-smtp_remote_allow") is
> supposed to do.

The option is available under the version in hamm, 3.2.0.101-4.  I
recently found out that a number of bo systems I am maintaining was
being used as relay for spam, so I set out to upgrade smail.  I got the
hamm source package and compiled a .deb package for bo.  It took a
little tweaking I think (some library that was in libc5, and is now
separate from libc6, or the other way around, I don't recall exactly).
Also I am not quite sure the version number in the debian package I
made is ok according to correct debian policy.  And the package
mentions Soenke Lange as maintainer although he did not compile this
particular version.  And there is a bug in the postinst script which
entails that you manually need to fix the inetd.conf file (about which
several bug reports have been filed already).

This all being said, I do have this .deb package that works for me on bo
systems, and am willing to send it to anyone by email or to upload it
to some place so that more people can benefit from it.

Any takers/comments?

Eric Meijer

--
 E.L. Meijer ([EMAIL PROTECTED])          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032