Brian Morgan wrote:

> I'm having trouble setting up xwindows in debian 2.0.  I install
> Xwindows as an option when installing debian 2.0 (kernel 2.0.33), but
> get error messages all over the place about missing libraries when I
> type xdm or startx.  In running dselect, I see that I have libc6
> installed, but  everytime I try to load x11 components, it tells me to
> install libc5 instead, which gets rid of many major components of the
> base system, and x11 STILL doesn't work.
>
> Furthermore, once I've removed libc6, I can't get dselect to install
> from ftp (probably because dpkg-ftp requires libc6), so I can't do any
> further updates.
>
> I'm going to reinstall debian 2.0 and try again to get x11 running.  Any
> suggestions on how to do this the right way?
>
> Brian Morgan

        How are you installing Debian 2.0?  Via ftp?  Make sure you are
installing
the libc6 version of XWindow (3.3.2.1-1).  This is available on
ftp.debian.org at 'dists/hamm/main' (using ftp of dselect).  Are you
installing debian 2.0 from the install disks, or are you trying to upgrade
an existing Debian 1.3.1 to 2.0?  If you are doing the latter, you should
start with the autoup script from the Developer's Corner on www.debian.org.
Read the HowTo that is there as well.

--
Ed