Following to my previous email I have to say some things.

the /boot directory in my machine is

drwxrwsr-x   2 root     disk         2048 Jun 12 17:58 boot
the user who can do that belongs to the disk group but the file which was
deleted (/boot/vmlinuz.2.0.0) does not belong to the disk group it is
root.root So obviously although I hadn;t realised that before if a group
you belong to owns a directory which is writable by the group you can
delete stuff from it without owning
the files and without belonging to the group which owns the files. Is this
safe ?? More importantly I don't know if this is a bug of the installation
procedure about 1 1/2 years ago but the permission to /boot were set by
that procedure and I never changed them. I know users should not probably
belong to group disk but I could have damaged my system really bad if I
had no spare kernels. I guess I must remove the user from the disk group
as soon as possible.

By the way why is /boot writable by the group disk?

Sorry for the long email
George

George Kapetanios
Churchill College
Cambridge, CB3 0DS    E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
U.K.                  WWW: http://garfield.chu.cam.ac.uk/~gk205/work_info.html