In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
E.L. Meijer Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Neither dmesg, nor messages, nor the other log files are complete.  You
>could get the output of the rc scripts to both the screen and a file
>using the tee command:
>
>[...]
>l3:3:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 3 2>&1 | /usr/bin/tee /var/adm/rc3.log
>
>However I wouldn't be sure that i/o redirection works at all in inittab.

It does. Contrary to some other Unices, commands started by init have
/dev/console open as fd 0, 1 and 2.

>is `/etc/init.d/rc 3' executed by sh or bash?

Depends. By execv() if there are no wildcards in it, by sh -c 'command'
if there are any shell wildcards in it.

The above would probably work. But you are still missing most of the
bootup stuff, what happens in /etc/init.d/boot [in bo] or /etc/rcS.d/*
[in hamm].

The solution I am working on is to use the TIOCCONS ioctl to redirect
all console output to a pseudo terminal while booting, and printing it
to the real terminal + a logfile by a "bootlogd". It can also keep the
output in memory until / is mounted read-write etc (catching root f/s
fsck output etc).

I'm still not sure if this is _too_ compicated or elegant ..

Mike.
--
 Miquel van Smoorenburg | Our vision is to speed up time,
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |   eventually eliminating it.