On Thu, Jul 23, 1998 at 09:35:51AM -0400, SEGV wrote:
> What is the state of Standard C++ (as adopted by ISO/ANSI) on GNU/Linux?

Debian 2.0 will ship with the egcs C++ compiler (http://egcs.cygnus.com/)
version 1.0.3 .

> For instance, browsing my system I see that c++ is gcc version 2.7.2.3. It
> warns that namespaces are mostly broken. The standard library is not
> enclosed in the namespace "std", and "iostream.h" looks old and is not
> "iostream".

egcs 1.0.3 still does not understand namespaces fully yet, but its C++
support is a big improvement over 2.7.2.3's .

> How long before I can type in every example from Stroustrup's latest book,
> and have it compile on Debian GNU/Linux?

Impossible to say. Join egcs development if you want it to be sooner rather
than later.

HTH,
Ray
--