Hi,

I'm trying to test dump and restore, and I've been having problems with
restore. I'm using a buslogin 930 controller and an HP DDS3 tape drive.
Here are some examples of my restore problems:

freefall ~ $ sudo restore -x -v -f /dev/st0 lee/wav.old/clint.wav
Verify tape and initialize maps
Tape block size is 1
Dump   date: Tue Aug 11 09:14:25 1998
Dumped from: the epoch
Level 0 dump of /home on freefall:/dev/sda5
Label: none
Extract directories from tape
Initialize symbol table.
bad name to addentry ./lee/wav.old
abort? [yn] y
dump core? [yn] n

but if I do an interactive restore I can see the file:

freefall ~ $ sudo restore -i -v -f /dev/st0
Verify tape and initialize maps
Tape block size is 1
Dump   date: Tue Aug 11 09:14:25 1998
Dumped from: the epoch
Level 0 dump of /home on freefall:/dev/sda5
Label: none
Extract directories from tape
Initialize symbol table.
restore > cd lee/wav.old
restore > ls clint.wav
309253 clint.wav
restore > add clint.wav
bad name to addentry ./lee/wav.old
abort? [yn] y
dump core? [yn] n

If I select the directory instead it works ok in the case:

freefall ~ $ sudo restore -i -v -f /dev/st0
Verify tape and initialize maps
Tape block size is 1
Dump   date: Tue Aug 11 09:14:25 1998
Dumped from: the epoch
Level 0 dump of /home on freefall:/dev/sda5
Label: none
Extract directories from tape
Initialize symbol table.
restore > cd lee
restore > add wav.old
tore > ls
./lee:
  4097  ./
     2  ../
      .
      .
      .
309249 *wav.old/
174081  work/

When I successfully extract the directory, the files have the correct
permissions but the directories are owned by root.

In other tests, selecting directories has failed with the bad name/abort
message. The software is beta, is anyone using it successfully? Would
anyone recommend BRU2000 or any of the other linux compatible commercial
backup programs.

--
Lee Bradshaw                 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (preferred)
Alantro Communications       [EMAIL PROTECTED]