Johann Spies writes:

 > Then I wanted to compile pine from the non-free disk.  But there was
 > no pine source. I then downloaded a binary rpm package of pine using
 > my slow 14400 modem, tried to convert it by alien, but the process
 > failed because of some library error in the package.
 >
 > Staroffice 4 would not run anymore.It complains about not being able
 > to load libXt.so.6. I have important spreadsheets that I use
 > Staroffice for.

 Staroffice uses libc5. Hamm is libc6, but the developpers have done a great
 job enabling use of libc5 programs as well (and tranparently). You will have
 to install libc5 support (and maybe somehting more, I am not sure which
 libraries staroffice4 uses, but I have it up and running at home). See the
 directory binary-i386/oldlibs in your CD.

 > Lyx would not run because the correct libforms package was not
 > installed.  It could not be found either on the Non free CD or contrib
 > CD. In the end I downloaded a Xforms RPM package, converted it using
 > alien and installed it, symlinked a libforms.so.0.88 library to
 > libforms.so.0.86 and installed lyx with force-depends.  It does not
 > work satisfactorily.  Lyx also complains about not finding the a4.sty
 > file.  I did so far not have time to find out why.

 Take a look in the nearest Debian's mirror site. I got Lyx from mine ant it
 works very well. Consider using apt package (you can get it in the unstable
 distribution directory).

 > XV was missing on the non-free CD.

 Maybe it could not be shipped due to some distribution restriction. I can get
 a xv from the directory

 /dists/stable/non-free/binary-i386/graphics/

 in the mirror next to me.

 > For the first time I am using Xemacs20 - also to write this email in
 > the absence of pine. It is too early to tell whether I will return to
 > emacs.
 >
 > I still have to find out whether I will be able to continue to use
 > Netscape and Mosaic on the new system.  I suspect not.

 You may need something from oldlibs section here (if your netscape is
 libc5). But it runs quite well in my system.

 > Maybe someone has solutions for some of my problems and maybe someone
 > else will be warned that to upgrade is not just a simple problemless
 > process and that productivity for at least a few days can be
 > frustratingly low.

 And pine source is also avaible from the non-free directory in my mirror
 site.

 So my last hint: *take a look in a mirror site for non-free
 packages*. There are lots of non-free packages that can't be shippend in a CD
 (from LSL or whatever), probably that's the case with pine, xv, etc.

 Hope that helps and welcome to Hamm (it is great! And yes it was a wise
 move).

 Paulo.