Hi,

> What does 'file <myprog' say?  the g++ may be adding a messed up header.

Well, I am floored.  :)

It seems that the "compiled" program is a Bourne Shell script, according
to the file program.  I confirmed this by viewing the contents of my
"executable."  It turns out that the binary/script was generated by
libtool to prevent anyone from running the actual program before the
shared library it depends on was installed.  The actual executable resides
in the .libs directory of that same directory.  I didn't know that libtool
does this for programs, in addition to the libraries it generates.  Neato!

Sorry for the panic.  :)

Thanks for the tip on using "file," Shaleh.  That helped me figure out
what was going on.  Isn't libtool great!

By the way, this was a test program for a package I am creating (ACE).

Thanks again,
-Ossama