Taylen wrote:

> hey, I recently got a new system, and decided that maybe this time my video
> card(now an STB nVidia, Riva 128 chipset, with 8 megs of vram)...anyway, I
> get it setup with XF86Setup and do startx, it starts, but in 320x240
> resolution, I tried doing alt+ctrl+ +or- but that wouldn't work...after
> that I tried to set up the resolutions in XF86Config, but it still ends up
> small, any explanation for why?
>
> -->this is with debian 1.31

Taylen,

I am also very new indeed to Linux. But I have just got a STB Velocity
128 to work.

I suggest you look in the man pages for startx. You should see that the
default X server to start is X. On my system that was starting the wrong
server so I changed X to be a symbolic link to XF86_SVGA.

You can see if this solution will work by running XF86_SVGA directly (I
think you need to be root). It wonlt give you a menu or anything but it
should show the resolution that you will get if you do change the X
symbolic link.

Regards

Dave