On Sun, 6 Sep 1998 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Another idea, the simplest one I could think of: in your startx script, add
> the line ``cat ~root/.Xauthority >> ~/.Xauthority'' just after
> ``serverargs="$serverargs -auth $HOME/.Xauthority"''.  First startx as root
> create the ~root/.Xauthority file and chgrp it so that only users in a group
> who locally access the machine can read it.  Only problem is the file is
> re-created whenever root uses startx, but I'd start X as the normal user
> anyway.

Far more easy method:

1. install ssh (from section non-us/net)
2. do "ssh -l root localhost" in an xterm to become root
3. in this root shell, start any X program to test it

Ssh takes care of X11 forwarding automatically. This was done to make it
easy to run X programs on a remote host and have them use the local
display, but it goes equally well if you connect to the local host as
another user.

I admit ssh is overkill for this. But if you have enough memory, it is by
far the easiest method.

Remco