> On Wed, 16 Sep 1998, E.L. Meijer (Eric) wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I administer a number of machines which have the same superuser
> > password.  Some of them are PC's running debian.  Some of the PC users
> > are quite able to administer their own machines.  So I added extra root
> > accounts.  In /etc/passwd this looks like
> >
> > root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
> > superdanny:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
> >
> > The problem is the following: some day Danny wants to change his
> > `superdanny' passwd and he types:
> >
> > $ su superdanny
> > Password:<his passwd>
> > # passwd
> >
> > Then two things happen that I don't like:
> > 1) He isn't asked for the old password,
> > 2) the password of root is changed, not that of superdanny
> >
> > Now I wonder: once logged in as `superdanny', is there a way for the
> > system to know that, despite uid being 0, this is superdanny, and not
> > root;  and if there is a way, would the two points above classify as bugs?
> >

> I dont know about anyone else, but in my mind, two users with the same UID
> is a Bad Thing (tm). As for the different username... `echo $USER` or
> `whoami` dont know if either would work.. but anyway..

Usually yes.  This is the only situation in which I use it.  Different
people can gain root access with their own passwd while a general root
passwd still exists.  Maybe I should look into a setup using sudo or
something similar.

Eric

--
 E.L. Meijer ([EMAIL PROTECTED])          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032