Dear Debs,

I have an annoying boot error message concerning the PCMCIA services
(and the CDROM), after I started using a newly compiled kernel.
First of all, I could work well with an ACCTON EN 2212 PCMCIA Card and
the CDROM drive with the default Debian 2.0.34 kernel.
In /lib/modules/2.0.34, there was a subdirectory pcmcia with lots of .o
files.
I have recompiled the kernel (still 2.0.34) after moving /lib/modules/2.0.34
to *.save. I have used make menuconfig, selected what seemed to be relevant
for PCMCIA (I can provide the configuration file), done
make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image and
dpkg -i ../kernel-image.custom.x.x.x.x.deb.
The system works, I have a link to the original kernel and the saved
/lib/modules/2.0.34.save directory, so that I can restart from the "origins".
However, I get the boot message
Starting kerneld vs. 2.1.85
Starting PCMCIA services: module directory /lib/modules/2.0.34/pcmcia not found
Questions:
Which step in the new kernel building should create this directory?
If none, is it the installation of pcmcia-cs that does it? Then, should I
reinstall it?
If none of the above is correct, is there a "config whatever" to do in the
pcmcia-cs directories? Or anything to change in /etc/modutils/conf.i386?

Manoj Srivastava wrote:

        Possibly you did not build and install the pcmcia
 modules? The pcmcia modules are added on to the kernel, and come
 separately. Install the pcmcia source package and look for
 instructions on using make-kpkg to create pcmcia modules.

I could not find instructions for the creation of pcmcia modules: have they
been created in the original Debian setup while installing pcmcia-cs?
If this is the case, I repeat my question above: must pcmcia-cs be
reinstalled with the new kernel running?

Finally, also the /lib/modules/2.0.34/cdrom directory is empty, although I
have selected IDE_CD as a module in menuconfig. Is anything else necessary?
Indeed, I get the boot message

If not even this works with the new kernel, I can't load anything since I
can neither use the CD nor connect with the net.

Thank you
Remo