On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, dsb3 wrote:

> On 30 Sep 1998, Ole J. Tetlie wrote:
>
> >*-Christopher Barry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >|
> >| I read some email in the Debian list a few minutes ago that said you can
> >| switch to a text mode virtual console from X by using Control-Alt-Fn and
> >| thought "cool, I always wondered if there was a way to do that... I
> >| think I'll try it right now!" So I did and then I could not for the life
> >| of me figure out how to get back into X.
>

> >:-) Control-Alt-F7 should get you there unless you have done
> >something unusual.
>
> a better approach might be to use Alt-F1 followed by Alt-LeftArrow.  This
> will take you to the highest numbered vterm.
>
> unless I'm just odd in extending my virtual terminals to cover all 12
> function keys??

Not entirely, I have F1-F10 as consoles, which leaves F11 and F12 for two
X sessions (xdm/kdm - depending on my current whim...) then I use AltGr-F1
upwards for miscellaneous servers (i.e. Quake2 etc.. I use 'open' for
them)

Somehow 6 consoles is not enough...

One other thing, if you want another X session, 'startx -- :1' is the
method recommended to me. If using xdm, add a line to /etc/X11/Xservers

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 vt7
:1 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1 vt8

etc etc...

                       Michael Beattie ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

            Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most!