Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 15:45:53 -0500 (EST)
         From: Ossama Othman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

         Hi,

         > go to www.gnu.org to see the whole history of the thing.  In a
         > nutshell: Richard M. Stallman had the idea to create a free unix
         > clone. Others liked the idea and helped him.  Linux wrote the
         > first working kernel. The ESSENCE of the idea is computer code
         > that is totally open to examination and/or change.

         You've got your facts confused.

I confess to my "Linux" typo when I meant Linus (Torvalds).  By
"facts confused" are you referring to this typo?  If not, I would
like to know to what.

Thanks,

joeh

   Linux Torvald's created the Linux kernel.
         Richard Stallman founded the Free Software Foundation that is
responsible
         for creating most of the GNU utilities that most, if not all, Linux
         distributions use.  The Linux kernel basically runs an operating system
         that is comprised predominantly of GNU utilities, in most cases.  Linus
         Torvald's did not create "GNU" nor did GNU, i.e. the Free Software
         Foundation, create Linux.  Linux by itself is not an operating system.

         It is for this reason that Debian refers to its Linux distribution as:

                 Debian GNU/Linux
                                                ^^^ ^^^^^

         Here are some Linux related sites that might be of interest:

                 www.linux.org
                 www.linuxhq.com

         By the way, the FSF is working on their own kernel called the "Hurd."
The
         Hurd will probably also run an operating system comprised mainly of GNU
         utilities, just like most Linux distributions.  In fact, Debian is
         developing its own Hurd distribution.

         -Ossama
         Ossama Othman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
         58 60 1A E8 7A 66 F4 44  74 9F 3C D4 EF BF 35 88  1024/8A04D15D
1998/08/26